So to partner with our new meal planner and going back to school we have been experimenting again in the kitchen! As you know I LOVE freezer meals! (A big reason is because I can’t cook for two so I always put half in the freezer!) Since we use freezer meals a lot I knew we would need some new things going into this next school year.
So to add to our basic taco meat, goulash, meatballs, traditional meatloaf and bbq, I have two new meals!
Veggie Taco Casserole
Rustic Italian Meatloaf
Both have Hdubs approval! (Huge win!) But I need to be honest that I made the veggie taco casserole as more of a side dish with broasted chicken. As with most recipes that I post these are relatively easy and using non-complicated ingredients. #realcookingrealfamilies
Veggie Taco Casserole*
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth (I use homemade bone broth)
- 1 1/2 diced zucchini
- 2/3 cup diced eggplant (I use chinese eggplant because they are way better priced and we already spend a good amount of time in the Asian Market)
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or 2 tablespoons of homemade)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix everything but the parmesan cheese together in a bowl and dump into a small greased baking pan. (If you are me you split it in two and put one in the freezer.) Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cover in the cheese. Let rest for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!
Rustic Italian Meatloaf*
- 2 pounds ground meat (I used venison, but you could use turkey, beef or pork)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 package fresh mozzarella cheese diced
- 3/4 frozen spinach thawed
- 1 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 can black olives diced
Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix the hamburger, onion, Italian seasoning, spinach and olives together. (I used my kitchen aid for this.) Add in eggs, cheese, and breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly. Put mix into a greased baking pan. (If you are me you split it in two and put one in the freezer.) Bake for 45 minutes and Enjoy!
Let me know if you make either of these. I would love to hear how they turned out. 🙂